Paradižot, how the Dalmatians call it, or šnenokle, how my mom and grandma used to call it, brings me back to childhood so fast I don’t even get a chance to put a spoon in my mouth. Remembering Sunday lunches with family, long ago, before the war. Dipping my finger in a bowl of custard (although then I just called them clouds in a yellow sauce). Mom yells: no sweet before lunch! And I take a teaspoon and continue scooping out of the large bowl :)
For biscuits that are put into ‘šnenokle’ I actually did not even know – my mom didn’t use them. Only recently my Dalmatian told me of their version of ‘šnenokle’ with buiscuites and some chocolate – and that is called Paradižot. Well it can not be bad, to add biscuits and chocolate in a yellow clouds sauce… Why not?
Now, I had a vision of a modern version of Paradižot with caramel sauce and rum – served in tall glasses for wine. I arranged it so neatly you would want to lick your fingers, but the lack of profi camera (read: still taking photos with iPhone, it is obvious) led to the fact that the pictures were unusable. So I served as always, in regular bowls – it’s even nicer. It’s not a fancy dish, it is a dessert for comfort, memories and love…
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 liters milk
- 2 + 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 + 1 tablespoon rum
- 6 biscuits (petit beurre)
- grated chocolate or caramel sauce
- Boil the milk.
- Seperate your egg youlks and egg whites. Beat the egg whites with one teaspoon of sugar.
- Mix the egg yolks with the cornstarch, two tablespoons of sugar and one tablespoon of rum.
- With a spoon, take bits of the marengue and cook them for 30 seconds in the hot milk (to swell) and turn and cook on the other side another 30 seconds. Remove the 'clouds' on a plate.
- Stir in the egg youls into the hot milk and cook for 5 minutes over low heat, stirring. Will slightly thicken. Chill.
- Brake the biscuits and arrange on the bottom of the bowl. Pour one tablespoon of rum over them. Pour some of the custard on the biscuits and arrange the white 'clouds'. Then pour all the rest of the sauce and sprinkle with grated chocolate, or like me, caramel sauce.
- Serve chilled and from the heart. Bon appetit!