In my 30 years of life each year I really look forward to strawberries. I can never resist and even buy those that appear in April at stores that just smell like strawberries and have no taste. I eat them as long as they are in season, and lately i did a lot of experimenting with a variety of strawberry cakes. However, this year I developed an allergy to them :(
Otherwise I have no problems with allergies, except that staying in the sun usually ends with me getting a strong skin rash. I have blonde hair, blue eyes and pale skin so it is not such a surprise. However, the rash that I got after about two weeks of almost daily consumption of strawberries really surprised me. And made me sad, because it meant the expulsion of strawberries from my diet, at least for a while. I made these muffins for my colleagues at work after I found out I couldn’t eat strawberries – and they said they were tasty :) The recipe is not mine, it was published a few days ago on a blog Pinch of salt and the credit belongs to the very talented author.
I hope you try the recipe and enjoy strawberries as much as you can :)
- 250 g fresh strawberries
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 240 ml yogurt
- 120 g of oat flakes
- 2 eggs
- 115 g butter, melted
- 100 g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 160 g flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 100 g walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C, and put paper cups into the muffin tin.
- Clean the strawberries, cut into cubes, pour the vinegar over them and mix them with two teaspoons of sugar. Pour yogurt over the oats. Mix all the wet ingredients with yogurt and oats, then add dry ingredients and mix till combined. In the end add chopped walnuts and strawberries.
- Fill the muffin cups to the top and bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick that is stabbed into the middle comes out clean.
- If you like a bit sweeter muffins, put white sugar instead of brown or increase the amount of brown sugar (I used muscovado and some people told me the muffins could use some more sugar). Bon appetit!