I decided to speed up the release of this recipe since plums are almost out of season. I already thought I was finished with them, but I got some from a colleague so I made some more jam (without sugar) and this crisp and tasty pie.
The pie crust dough is from the Healthy apple and cranberry pie recipe which I wrote when I first started the blog. Now I see how my photos were much worse then, so I hope to fix the old posts with new photos soon.
This cake was a big hit when I brought it to work so I’m sure you’ll like it. You can customize the filling to your own taste, and in fact it may not even be a plum filling – you can use frozen berries, blueberries, pears and apples, nectarines… Let your imagination run wild – the dough tolerates tolerated various combinations of fruit. Also, I made this pie in mini versions ( in individual portions ), using a muffin mold and it turned out great!
This is the amount for a tin size 22×36 cm, and if you make it in a round mold diameter of 28 cm you will need 1/3 less ingredients.
- 210 g butter
- 240 g wholemeal flour
- 180 g flour
- 90 g brown sugar (say Demerara )
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons milk
- about 1 kg plums
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 bags of vanilla sugar
- brown sugar to taste - I put 2 tablespoons
- + 50 g ground almonds and 1 tablespoon brown sugar to sprinkle
- + icing sugar (if you want)
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C , and grease the pan with butter .
- Mix the flours and butter and crumble with your hands. Then add the other ingredients and knead the dough. Take a third of the dough and store in the refrigerator and roll out the rest to the size of your pan. Move the dough to the pan and bake for 12-15 min, ie until the dough starts to get brown around the edges. Meanwhile, prepare the filling.
- Wash the plums, cleaned of pits and cut into quarters. Mix them with the other ingredients - or use your own combination. Instead of rum you can put lemon juice, instead of brown sugar use agave syrup or do not put sugar at all...
- Arrange the filling on the hot dough. Grate the remaining third of the dough and sprinkle on top of the pie. Then sprinkle with a mixture of ground almonds and sugar. Bake for 25 minutes, or till the pie gets a nice golden color. Cool completely before cutting and sprinkle with icing sugar if you want. Bon appetit!