I know I ‘m a little late with mushrooms, I’m late with the publication of this recipe too – but fortunately, you can always buy mushrooms in a store if nothing else. Honestly, I’m not the type of person that enjoys walking through the woods and collecting mushrooms – but luckily, I have my mom and brother who are. My mom gave me a bag of frozen sliced mushrooms that didn’t sit in my freezer too long – I made a wonderful, flavourful, spicy goulash with chicken and pasta.
I wanted to make it with polenta, but I was out – and I am actually kind of glad, because adding the pasta made quite a different dish. I discovered recently cayenne pepper (I know, you’ve probably been using it a long time now) – I really like its specific aroma and spiciness. Basically, I put cayenne pepper in everything now, but I’m sure it all works equally well with plain, black pepper. That ‘s my rule – no inaccessible food , no spending a fortune on ingredients and for everything, absolutely everything, there is a good enough alternative .
Enjoy the stew ;)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 200 g chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 medium onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 400 g mushrooms
- 150 ml white wine
- 1 vegetable cube
- 500 ml of water
- 2 bay leaves
- teaspoon red pepper
- half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper or a pinch of black pepper
- tablespoon of fresh or a teaspoon dried thyme
- 200 g pasta
- Cube the chicken, season with salt and roll lightly in flour. Fry in hot olive oil for 3-4 minutes, until it colors then remove to a plate .
- On the rest of oil fry chopped onion and carrot slices. After 3-4 minutes, when the onions soften, add the garlic and simmer everything together.
- Clean the mushrooms, cut them into slices and put in the vegetables. Stir and cook for a few minutes then add the chicken. Pour in the white wine, add the bay leaves and cook for 4-5 minutes on high heat, until the alcohol in the wine evaporates.
- All together cover with water and add the vegetable cube(if you have some stock instead of water, you do not need a cube).
- Season with salt, pepper and thyme, and cook for 20 minutes , until the sauce is reduced and all the ingredients are soft.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta al dente in salted water (10-12 min ).
- Stir the pasta in and serve. Bon appetit!