Cinnamon is a spice that describes autumn to me the best. As soon as it gets cold I get a desire to bake apple muffins, pies, strudels – and make compote flavored with cinnamon and vanilla.
This time I decided to put it in cookies of an interesting structure. The dough is made with cream cheese so it is very soft and pliable while you work with it, and so crisp after baking. Although they look like pastry on these photos, these rolls are actually cookies filled with almonds and cinnamon, tasty and soft . Instead of almonds, you can use walnuts or hazelnuts, and you can completely change the stuffing – and put poppy or jam, I’m sure that would be great. They are very simple to prepare and actually qickly done. Deffinitely on my list for a repeat, I can already imagine them in a variety of stuffings on a plate with the Christmas cakes.
I hope you try them out and let me know your thoughts!
- 100g cottage cheese or cream cheese
- 100g butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100 g flour
- 30g ground almonds
- 30g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg white mixed with a tablespoon of water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Mix the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and cheese using a mixer until well combined.
- Sift the flour in and stir with a spatula or spoon. You can also use your hands to make the dough.
- When you get a ball of soft dough, put it in the refrigerator for 30 min.
- Mix the almonds, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Preheat the oven to 190 ° C.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and roll out into a circle to a thickness of 1 mm. You can also use a plate to cut the dough into a proper shape, and leave the rest of the dough for later to repeat the process that follows.
- Brush it with egg white mixed with a little water and sprinkle with almonds .
- Then cut the dough into 16 triangles - first in four parts, and each of them in half and then again.
- Starting from the outward side (the shortest) of each triangle roll the biscuits. Place them in a pan lined with baking paper, spread the rest of the egg white on top and sprinkle with a little granulated sugar. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until golden.
- Serve cold or hot, enjoy!