Practicallity is really one of my strong points – without sarcasm. I’m very organized and I like to use my time effectively. As the time of the day is limited – and often too short – I use little tricks that make things easier. And one of them is storing food in advance for several days.
Freezing raw, homemade rolls was a revelation to me. I have no problem to take one hour and knead the dough on weekends, make rolls, freeze them individually and when I feel like it – just bake them, frozen. I have hot, fresh, homemade pastries in 25 min! And really, there’s nothing better than eating homemade, warm bread for breakfast, it’s the best possible start od a day, especcialy durig the week.
This recipe I found on the blog Jubistacha – a dear colleague, lover of cooking. She was actually preparing bread, but I just wanted to make rolls- again because of the convenience. Also, I used whole wheat and semi-white flour instead of white. They are excellent very soft, full and filling. For breakfast, you will only need one to be full – for a sandwich, a cream cheese spread or with butter and jam and a white coffee. Wonderful! A news batch is in tzhe making, getting ready for the new week :)
Original post and recipe are here (in Croatian).
- 90 g millet
- 210 ml of water
- 300 g plain flour
- 250g wholemeal flour (or a combination of your choice)
- teaspoon salt, teaspoon sugar
- 1 package dry yeast
- 250-300 ml of hot water
- 1 egg or egg white for brushing
- Cover the millet with water (210 ml) and cook for about 10 minutes, until tender.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, salt, sugar, yeast and cooked millet. Add the first 200 ml of warm water and knead the dough, adding more water if necessary.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface and knead it for 5-10 minutes until you get a compact, soft dough. Return it to the bowl, cover with a cloth and let rise until double in bulk.
- When the dough is risen, knead it and divide into 12 pieces.
- Shape each piece into a ball, which you'll then slightly flattened and cut a cross on top.
- Preheat the oven to 200 ° C, line the pan with parchment paper and arrange the rolls. Brush them with beaten egg or egg white.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, you will see when they're finished. Remove from oven, wrap in a towel and serve hot or cold - with anything, it fits with everything :) Enjoy!
- You can freeze wxcess rolls. Do not coat them with eggs but put on floured plates, freeze, and when frozen put them all into one bag and store in the freezer. When you want to bake them, brush them with an egg and bake as described in the recipe - still frozen.